Friday, January 22, 2010

Problems when posting comments


Some readers were experiencing problems with posting comments. It is difficult for us to trace them, as they do not happen to all users. For instance, I do not have any problems even when posting comments as plain anonymous user. Googleing has not helped me to find out what the source of the problem may be. I have changed the options to post comments (pop-up window), but I am not sure whether this is the correct solution. If readers find this too cumbersome I will set the options back again to 'comment embedded below post'. Any help in this regard is of course welcome.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer the 'comment embedded below post', particulary when I need to quote something, but never had a problem either way.

TCO said...

The problem happened with posting under username/url. I have seen same issue on other blogs. And as the solution (submitting same post twice) is not intuitive, I think people are turned away.

Anonymous said...

The user name area seems to refresh after several seconds, so if you click quickly on a radio button it might vanish when the refresh happens. I suspect the name refresh is due to an Ajax verification task.

Maybe people are having trouble if they quickly click an option and it then gets reset to an invalid option.

Werner Krauss said...

don't like the pop-up window.

TCO said...

Don't like Werner.

Leigh Jackson said...

The new system allows cut/paste ans preview unlike the original system. This is a big improvement.

Leigh Jackson said...

Lol. I should use preview even for one or two sentences...

Yes, that's fine...

eduardo said...

I am tempted to estimate whether skeptics prefer 'comment embedded below post' and warmistas pop-up window, or viceversa.

lucia said...

I am tempted to estimate whether skeptics prefer 'comment embedded below post' and warmistas pop-up window, or viceversa.
Funny!
I generally prefer "comment embedded below post" because it usually involves one less click.

However, since your blog uses a captcha, and presents various identity options, to reduce clicks, the page would have to show the captcha and all the identity options below the comment form. So the pop-up window may be better.